BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, October 19, 2009

White Knuckled with Sweaty Pits


I finally got brave and drove in Granada today! Collin and I loaded up the kids and went to the grocery store. I told them beforehand that they had to be absolutely silent so I could concentrate and they were. Maybe they were afraid that I would crash if they made a sound. Getting out of the tiny parking space and the garage was hard (the car died twice, I guess it's been awhile since I drove a stick). We went out at 8 p.m. which is just about one of the busiest times of day in Granada because people are coming home from work. I drove through at least 4 crazy roundabouts and the cars are so tightly packed together when you are driving that you could probably roll down your window and kiss the guy in the passenger's seat in the car next to you. By the time we got to Carrefour, I wanted to throw up and felt all shaky. I managed to drive home without any incidents and there was way less traffic. I was in the wrong lane coming up to a stoplight and ended up diagonally across both while I waited for the light to change. When we got to the garage, I couldn't back into the space and the car died a few times. Finally, Collin just ended up parking the car for me. Hopefully, I can get it together before Wednesday because I have to drive to a church activity for the kids. 


Collin said that Yamiles and I should have a race: turtle vs. snail. He was implying that I was driving really slow. Yesterday, we followed Yamiles out of Gojar back to the freeway. It was like following a tortoise. She probably doesn't drive much and I don't blame her. If I could avoid it, I wouldn't drive here either. Collin says he wishes that he had the video camera going to document my stress while I was driving for the first time here, but I'm glad he didn't. I think that would have stressed me out even more!

1 comments:

Grammy A said...

That sounds scary, Tara! I remember when Barbara and I came to visit you guys in Cambridge and I drove the rental car one day. I think the kids (and maybe even Barbara) all rode with YOU because I had NEVER driven in England, and no one (including me) trusted my driving!

I didn't wreck the car or get in any accidents, but I did keep rubbing the curb with my tires because I couldn't tell how close I was... IT WAS ALL THAT DRIVING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD WITH THE STEERING WHEEL ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE CAR!