BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 30, 2009

Costume Drama

In Collin's words:

So, this morning we left for school and all three kids were wearing their ninja outfits. We had only just made it around the corner when Aidan wanted to take his off. You see, none of the other kids that we passed on the street were wearing costumes and they just stared at our kids. So, by the time we get to the alley by the kids' school, Emma and freaking our and strips out of her costume too. But then as we exit the other end of the alley next to the school, they see a bunch of kids from their school who ARE dressed up. So as quickly and panicky as possible, they throw their costumes back on, just as the bell is ringing. When we get to the school yard, ALL the kids are gathered for a song and show that the English teacher has prepared (knock, knock, trick-or-treat, who are you? I'm a monster, I'm a little monster . . . ).

Anyway, all of Aidan's classmates come up to him and are talking about his costume and he is freaking out because NONE of the 5th and 6th graders are wearing costume. He looks traumatized and after I few minutes I told him to go take it off. He does, but the damage was done. He is trying to hold back the tears, although one or two escape, and he looks as if he wants a hole to open up in the ground and swallow him up. I tried to cheer him up by telling him about my Robin Hood/Peter Pan costume fiasco, but I don't think he was in the mood. But the other two kids were happy since all of their classmates were dressed up.

(Tara) Aidan was fine when I picked them up from school He was wearing his costume again. The boys in his class just brought masks and put them on at recess, so I think he recovered from his embarrassment. I remember once when my stepmom made me a Betty Boop costume in 4th grade. It was a black tube dress with a red sequined band at the top. I work a red bow in my hair and black high heels. I looked like a child prostitute and was miserable. My underwear showed and I couldn't play on the bars. I also had a team soccer swim party that day. Everyone else was running around or swimming (without costumes) and I was stuck in my hooker dress unable to join in the fun. 

0 comments: