BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 23, 2009

Driving within the Lines

So my driving achievement the other night wasn't a complete triumph. Besides getting lost, I also parked rather crookedly in our parking spot in the garage. I was still within the line, but just barely. I received a very polite note from the neighbor in 2H asking me to please park better in the future like he does every day so that we won't damage each other's cars. I'm glad he just sent me a note instead of ringing our doorbell and yelling. One time in Madrid, our first time a neighbor from downstairs rang our doorbell and yelled at me for a few minutes. All I could understand was that he couldn't sleep in the mornings because Aidan got up around 6 am and made tons of noise running around and playing. If I had been able to speak better Spanish then, I would have probably said something like, "Well, he's two years old. What do you suggest I do with him?" All I could manage at the time was, "Lo siento." 


I was in the middle of a Spanish lesson today when the school called and said that Emma had a fever and was trembling. When I went to pick her up, she was crying because she thought I wouldn't come to get her. It took me 20 minutes to walk to school and pick her up. She was pretty miserable, but as soon as we got home she perked up. She made herself at home on the couch with a blanket, pillow, crackers and juice and watched the Power Puff Girls movie and then took a LONG nap. I am going to have to stay home with her and Ian tomorrow while Collin and Aidan go to Cordoba with the students, Fatima, Goyo and Charro. I really wanted to go, but I don't think it would be wise to bring Emma who gets carsick so easily. But at least we get to sleep in. 

I finally finished my second grammar book. I'm so glad even though I know the next one is going to be even more challenging. The subjunctive is still kicking my tail and I only scored an 88% on the auto evaluation test at the end of the book. But, lucky me, my teacher is coming over for ANOTHER lesson tomorrow. I know I need them, but sometimes I would like a little break from the lessons once in a while.

We had Fatima, Jaime and Paula over for dinner last night. I made panko chicken, salad, oven roasted cauliflower and brownies. We had a nice time chatting. I really like Fatima and Jaime and Paula is just adorable. The kids kept talking about her, even the next day. I love her dimples. Fatima won the scavenger hunt and she got a mixed CD and a box of nice chocolates which Collin warned me not to eat since there were laying there temptingly on his desk before they arrived.

The brownies turned out burned on top and raw in the middle. I think the oven is starting to get annoyed that I blog about its faults so much and it getting revenge every chance it gets instead of just every other time I use it. Hopefully, it will have been replaced by the next time we come. That thing has got to be at least 30-40 years old. Die already! Go towards the light to the kitchen in the sky (actually, for this particular oven, I think it would feel more at home downstairs where it's hot.) 

This family in our barrio is moving back to Venezuela and everyone is very sad about it. They are one of the nicest and most fun families in the barrio. Their son is always really funny and friendly. I always chat with his dad who taught me how to make empanadas that one time. Collin was a Young Men's when they announced that they were moving and everyone stood up and talked about what a good guy he is and how much they are going to miss him. His best friend cried the whole time. I feel really sad that they are moving. But that's life I guess. How many time have I moved in my life? San Francisco to Kaui, Kaui to Alamo, Alamo to Provo, Provo to Cambridge (with a little Spain in between), Cambridge to Orem, Orem to Lewisburg, Lewisburg to Granada and then back to Lewisburg. We also moved across town in Provo once. 


0 comments: