BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, October 26, 2009

Cheese Bomb



Collin and I just watched one of the saddest movies I have ever seen. I don't usually cry during movies, but I was definitely wiping my eyes throughout Para Que No Me Olvides directed by Patricia Ferreira. Collin's colleague, Fatima, lent us the movie and said it was really good. She should have given us a box of Kleenex and some anti-depressants too. So far, all the Spanish cinema I have seen is very well done, but very depressing. Don't they make comedies in Spain or do they just leave that to the Americans? 


Fatima also gave me some cheese made from raw cow and goat's milk in a jar. It is made in Austurias and is GRAY! I have never seen gray cheese before. Fatima warned Collin to have some windows open when I took the top off because it smells so strong. She called it a bomb. I finally tried it today on some crackers and then on some bread with a tomato. The flavor reminds me of blue cheese, but stronger. As long as I wasn't looking at it, it tasted good, very strong, but very good. But I had to close my eyes to eat it, the grayness kind of got to me. Flavor=good, appearance and odor=not so good. I am a cheese lover and I believe that the stinkier the cheese, the better the flavor. I'll just have to eat it with my eyes closed when no one is around. Aidan smelled it and actually gagged, but then he's not a cheese lover. Ian smelled it  and said, "Hmm . . . maybe I will try that cheese when I'm older." No matter, more zombie toe cheese for me (truly, that is what it looks and smells like). I would love to have the shirt that I saw two German tourists wearing that read, "Make Cheese, Not War."

One of my conversation partners, Flor, came to church with me on Sunday. Collin stayed home with Emma because neither of them were feeling very well. Emma actually had a fever and was shivering at school so they called me to come and pick her up. I drove to church with Flor and introduced her to the missionaries. About 7 years ago, she met the missionaries on the street and wanted to learn more about the church. But since she was living alone, the missionaries couldn't come up to her apartment to teach her. Eventually, the missionaries gave up. I don't remember how it came up, but she found out that I am LDS and mentioned what had happened with the missionaries. She was still interested so she came to church with me. The Bishop had us come into the office and talked a little about the church and the Book of Mormon and then said a prayer. I think Flor was a little surprised, but fine with it. I had to go with the Primary, so I left her with Sister Clegg and she went to the investigator class and Relief Society. Afterwards, I asked her what she thought and she said that she had tons of questions. I think the sister missionaries want to meet with her at my house which is fine with me. Even though I believe in my religion, I don't like to push it on others, especially since I feel like I don't know even close to everything there is to know about it. 

Now, my other language exchange partner wants to go to church with me this Sunday. She is 19 and totally living the life of a young single girl in the city. She actually invited herself to come with me because she had never heard of the LDS religion before. Rocio comes from a Catholic background, but doesn't currently practice. I'm actually kind of scared to bring her to church with me, but she asked so who am I to deny her? I love talking with her, she is really fun and open and outgoing. I feel like we can talk about anything and neither of us have to hold back for fear of offending or shocking the other. She also likes a TV show that I like and invited me over to her house to watch it this Wednesday. She also has a very complicated love life, as good as a movie! 

Emma's twin friends, Marta and Lucia, starting playing soccer with Emma and Aidan today at their after school activity. I chatted with their mother, Inma, a little and found out that she is starting an online English course. I told her that a language exchange would really help her get over her fear of speaking English. Hopefully, we'll be able to chat while the kids are in soccer practice. She is currently reading the first Stieg Larsson book so we'll have that to talk about as well as the girls. Emma can't get enough of Marta and Lucia and I think the feeling is mutual. They are so adorable together. During soccer practice, Emma got hit in the face with the ball and was crying so she asked if she could sit out. When she was feeling better, she started playing with Marta and Lucia instead of practicing soccer. Aidan was tattling on her and said that the coach didn't say she could play. Emma said that she asked him if it was OK for her to sit out and play with her friends. Aidan said, "No, he said, 'como tú quieres." Which means 'as you wish.' Emma said, "No, he said, 'como tú quieras." Which means 'whatever you want.' So they were arguing about indicative versus subjunctive tenses. I am totally struggling with the subjunctive right now and I can see that my kids understand it better than I do. Oh to be young and have a brain that soaks up everything like a sponge!

Rebecca, my Spanish teacher, said I could bake my pies for Thanksgiving in her oven. We spent the entire lesson today translating an apple pie recipe from English to Spanish. It was hard. It took us over an hour. Several people requested it and of course, none of them can speak English. Rebecca and I are more like friends now than teacher and student. She has really helped me with my Spanish and I am so glad that I got a private tutor rather than enrolling in a class. 

Collin and I are going to spend tomorrow morning together. I think we are going to go for a hike after we drop the kids off at school. I think we both need to get out more.

1 comments:

Grammy A said...

I love a good stinky cheese too (feta, bleu) but you know I can't handle ANY goat cheese, and I'm afraid I would have been turned off by the color.

I have never eaten Limburger cheese, but my mom had some when I was a girl. The problem is... she accidentally left it in the car for a few days, and the smell was HORRID! Maybe when you get back to the States you should try some Limburger!