BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Eating Fuerte



















Yesterday we went for a walk intending to go to the Sacromonte caves, but learned that you have to tip the owners of restaurants that have been turned into caves to see them. We're kind of cheap so we decided to walk around the Alhambra instead, taking a different route than usual. As luck would have it, we stumbled upon the area that is free to the public. The kids really enjoyed it because the path was shady and very cool as the sprinklers were on. Emma climbed up into a little alcove and posed like a saint since they used to put statues of saints in those alcoves. There were also some cannons outside that they had fun climbing on. Ian found what he called "the perfect devil stick." Emma thought the bubbles in a scummy fountain looked like frog eggs. There were some very intricate and beautifully carved walls as well as painted tiles in the Moorish style everywhere you looked.


We're struggling a lot with the schoolwork that they are supposed to be doing. It is a real pain to try and homeschool this way with only the internet for help. We thought they could get by without their books, but it is not working out.

Collin and I are trying to really push the Spanish with the kids. They want so badly to play with other kids, but their lack of Spanish is holding them back. We are considering enrolling them in a summer school type program just for them to have something fun to do. Two walks a day, a few card games, schoolwork, nap and meals just isn't cutting it for them. They really need to be with other kids and learn how to communicate here.

During siesta, I heard Ian saying, "Ayudame!" in his room. I ran in there and he was buck naked and upside down with his feet caught between the frame and the mattress of the upper bunk bed. He was REALLY mad that I took his picture while he was in such an undignified position.

Today Collin played soccer with some guys from church, Americans vs. Spaniards in an imitation of the match recently played with the huge upset (America won!). But in this case, the American team lost. I hung out with the kids and watched cartoons, read The Candy Shop Wars by Brandon Mull, and helped them with their schoolwork. During siesta, I saw Aidan naked on the patio with Collin in his underwear cutting his hair. It turned out great! Much better than when I tried cutting Aidan's hair in England and he ended up looking like a member of the Adam's Family. Later, we all played Wig Out.

After dinner, we went to Lorca Park and Collin and I sat at a cafe while the kids played. We told them that if they wanted a soda they had to study Spanish verb conjugations. It was the perfect setting because we could enjoy our drinks and free tapas with the kids in sight the whole time. The free tapas were first little miniature hamburgers and potato chips, followed by a chicken and tomato pastry (or it might have been tuna and tomato) and olives with pickled onions and peppers. Those were probably the best free tapas we've had so far. I followed Josepha's advice and ate strong: MEAT. I don't know if I have ever had a hamburger before. As Emma always says, "It was good, but I wouldn't eat a whole plate of them." Collin and I also had gratanizado which is pretty much a lemonade slushy--so yummy (the kids were JEA-lous). Our friend Sara showed up with Carlos and her mom and the kids played for awhile while Sara, Collin and I talked. Her mom was constantly watching the kids and following them around. Sara invited us to Carlos's birthday on the 10th at Burger King. We walked home.

The kids are eating machines. They always seem to need a big snack before bed, even if they have eaten dinner and then tapas recently. We bought 24 yogurts yesterday and there are only three left.

I had a bit of a freak out today because I am so worried about the kids being able to communicate and trying to teach them math that I have a hard time with myself. I feel really overwhelmed with the responsibility of their education. At times, it feels like a cool opportunity and at other times, a burden. I want them to enjoy their time here, but I also want them to learn Spanish and be able to keep up with the classes they will be returning to in January.

Tomorrow I start my new calling in the Primary Presidency.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Aiden is such a handsome cutie!

Kirsten said...

I'm pretty terrified to homeschool Kendall if that makes you feel any better. And I only have to teach easy kindergarten stuff. I think it's totally understandable to feel frustrated or overwhelmed when you're trying to teach your kids, your THREE kids more advanced stuff. Especially if you don't have a lot of helpful resources available.

Grammy A said...

If you need me to send any kind of supplies or books for homework/homeschooling... just let me know. You know how I feel about sending packages. It's my way of sending a little love. It's expensive to send a package, and Collin bugs me about it. It can't be helped. Did he tell you what we talked about today? We were saying things like "$20.00 for a DVD... $80.00 to send a package to Spain... the smile on my grandkids face when they receive the package... PRICELESS!"

I want you guys to be happy and enjoy your time in Spain, too. If I can send some fun things every now and then and bring a smile to your faces... it's worth every penny!

Grammy A said...

And I agree with Stephanie... Aidan is SO handsome! Tell Collin GREAT job with the haircut! John put the picture of Aidan as our screensaver! It's life-size for me to kiss! XOXOXOXOXOXO