BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, August 7, 2009

Modern Art: what's that all about?















Last night we were out walking to the park and we saw a mom helping her little boy go pee by a tree. He was wearing red gingham overalls without a shirt and had long curly hair. As we walked by, Ian chuckled and said, "Huh, that's funny: a girl with a wiener." Every time I think about it I start laughing out loud. 


Free hamburgers again at the park cafe again. I didn't eat mine as I have had a stomachache for 4 days (probably from the morcilla I ate). Actually, I have only been eating fruit and vegetables, All-Bran and yogurt to try and undo the damage that darn pig's blood sausage hath wrought on my insides.

Today we took the kids to Vid Boys again and left them there for a couple hours (there is a babysitting service there). They played with some other kids (mostly chasing and throwing balls and screaming) and did a few crafts. While they were there, Collin and I went to the Persian blinds store to order a new ones for the living room. Afterwards, we went to a cafe. Collin had a potato salad with vinaigrette dressing on it and we both had orange juices. We then went in search of a fruit store. Mercadona, the supermarket near our house, does NOT have good fruit. We found two fruit stores. One had really good grapes and peaches. I bought a fig (Aidan has been dying to try one and I love them), mangos, green plums and strawberries. It cost 15E. Collin went back to the store and it turns out that the fruit guy overcharged us (on accident) by 7E! It would have made sense had we bought the yummy looking cherries he had. They were imported from Canada and cost 12E per kilo. 

Vid Boys has video games as well as a play place. There is a Jurassic Park game that has the funniest description of the game printed on the outside. It seems like the fun and excitement of the game got a little lost in translation.

After Vid Boys I took the kids home and Collin went to work. The kids and I cleaned the house and watched Matilda first in Spanish and then in English. I think they would love the book by Roald Dahl.

Collin and I went out on our own tonight. We hired Veronica, a lady we know from church, to babysit the kids and teach them Spanish. She doesn't know a word of English. The kids were fine and we were happy that she actually taught them stuff. 

Collin and I went to the Jose Guerrerro Museum where his modern art is on display. We each picked out a favorite painting. Mine is called lateral and is light blue, red and white. Collin's is called azul expansion and is in Bucknell colors. I'm not sure why, but I just don't understand modern art. Some of the paintings could have easily been done by Ian. It was hard for me to find meaning in his work. There were two flamenco musicians outside the museum playing guitar and percussion. They were actually really good. We ate dinner at el Aguador and did not like it. Collin's pizza looked yummy, but was really bland. My salad was the strangest combination I have ever eaten in a salad: escarole, avocado, kiwi, papaya, mango, tomato, fresh mozzarella, dried fruit (coconut, papaya, banana chips) topped with a balsamic honey vinaigrette that was way too sweet. There just wasn't enough contrast between the dressing and the salad ingredients. It felt like I was eating dessert and dinner mixed together. I wonder why we keep striking out when we go out to eat. Maybe we would be better off if we steered clear of the tourist areas, we'd probably save some money too. The restaurant had some interesting pizza  on the menu: bacon and egg with Bechamel sauce; squid, shrimp and mussels; and pineapple and ham with avocado. I don't think we will eat there again. I think I am going to start a list of places where we have eaten and give them a rating so when we come back again we will know what was good and what was gross. We haven't eaten at the Punisher yet, but with a name like that I know if I eat there I will probably have digestive troubles or be sitting at a table next to some masochists.

Does it seem like I am always writing about food? I think it is because all we really do is walk and eat around here most of the time. The dessert pictured is called a pionono and it was really good. According to Wikipedia, "Piononos are small pastries traditional in Santa Fe, a small town adjacent to the city of Granada. A pionono is comprised of two parts: a thin layer of pastry rolled into a cylinder, fermented with different kinds of syrup which give the pionono a sweet and pleasant texture, crowned with toasted cream. It is typically eaten in one or two bites." We got them at a place called Piononos la Rosa that serves pastries and ice cream.

Veronica offered to teach me how to make paella. I would love to learn. Maybe I'll do it next week. She is also up for babysitting for us a couple times a week. I wish she lived closer. I hope the kids actually learn something while she is babysitting them. She did say that Emma knew an amazing amount of vocabulary.

I was finally able to load the video of the kids singing the primary song that starts out, "Jesus came to John the Baptist," which they were supposed to sing at the baptism.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Tell the kids I loved their singing. When our kiddies wake, I'll have the girls listen too. They'll love it.

Tara- hope your insides feel better.

Mical said...

I am glad you are documenting your trip! I love reading about all your adventures. I can't believe you ate that sausage! Thats awesome.