BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Another Successful Language Exchange

We finally met with the original language exchange people that we were supposed to meet in the park the day it rained. Her name is Nuria and she has an 8-year-old son named Javier. We met them at the newspaper kiosk at the beginning of our street and walked to their apartment. They live very close by. I left Ian at home with Collin because I wasn't sure how big or kid friendly their apartment would be. The kids ended up playing a game kind of like mousetrap, but with dominoes and Wii. They had a great time. They also ate cookies and milk. Javier put all his cookies in a glass of milk and smashed them up, then ate them with a spoon. Here you can buy chocolate milk with cookies mixed in. I'm curious to know how that would taste. Nuria's English isn't as good as my Spanish which is a nice change. She is going to live in Liverpool, U.K. for three months and wants to improve her English before she goes. She also wants Javier to be able to communicate with other kids. We mostly talked about Granada, living in a foreign country, how much harder it is to actually speak a different language than just reading or writing it. They have an indoor pool in their building and said they would invite us to swim when it opens up in September. Her parents also have a house in the country with a pool that she said we could go to also. We are going to meet them again on Friday in Puerta Real so the kids can all use their heelys. Javier is the only Spanish kid I've seen with heelys. He is SUPER SPORTY! He is the skiing champion of Granada (I'm assuming in his age group) and his acrobatic gymnastics team is ranked 5th in the world. Nuria is a P.E. teacher, so I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Javier was doing cartwheels and splits all over the place in their apartment. I am looking forward to conversing with her, but more importantly for Aidan to have a friend that lives close by that we will see on a regular basis. I think we will try and meet at least three times a week.


Today I feel like we could have spent a year here. I wish we had thought ahead and rented our house out for a year. I would like for the kids and I to have a very firm grasp on the the Spanish language and culture. Thumbs up for Granada!

0 comments: