BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

We Partied like Mexicans















Collin went into the office today for a few hours. I took the kids to the library and they were on their BEST behavior. They did exactly as I told them to do: they were quiet, sat at a table and looked at comic books while I picked out some books and movies, and they didn't run around.


Our oven LIVES! A guy came and fixed it on Monday and I made a 4 cheese pizza in it. Yay! I can definitely make pumpkin pies come Thanksgiving time.

We went to Al Campo to buy birthday presents for both Carloses. We got them each a Looney Tunes DVD and a packet of crazy colored sweet microwave popcorn. We got a little lost trying to find our way from Al Campo to the church for Carlos's baptism. I had the kids practice the song that the Primary Music Leader said they were singing at the baptism 32 times. We got to the church and they chose a totally different song! The kids were pretty mad at me. Emma's ears were practically steaming after I made them practice so much for nothing. They lip synced pretty admirably though.

I have never seen so many people at a baptism. Almost everyone from church was there, maybe because the birthday party was right afterwards.

Mexicans sure do know how to throw an awesome party. I helped out in the kitchen for the first part of the party assembling trays and bringing them out to the tables. All the missionaries were congregating there so they could get first crack at the food. I was speaking in Spanish to the ladies I was helping and I noticed a new missionary who had transfered to this ward. I asked him where he was from in English (San Diego). Later, Collin heard him say, "Gosh, I don't know where she learned her English, but it is PERFECT!" Anna Maria made this delicious chicken dish with potatoes, onions and chilies that we ate on saltines. She also made chicken taquitos which were topped with guacamole and cream and cheese. Her tostadas with refried beans, chicken, lettuce, sauce, onion, tomato and cheese were to die for. I am going to get her to teach me how to make all of the above. Everyone was gorging themselves and saying how tasty everything was. They hired two Mexican dancers and a couple guitar players and had someone DJing as well. There was also a trampoline set up outside. Emma danced up a storm with little Carlos and Leonor. An elderly English lady who is married to an Argentinian was getting down, so was the violin player and most of the kids. I danced a little with Emma. I was dying to moonwalk during Billy Jean is Not my Lover, but I held back. Maybe I'll save that for the talent show in October:) We sang Happy Birthday to Carlos in Spanish and then in English. His sister, Brenda, pushed his face into the cake. Instead of ice cream with the cake, they served it with pink Jell-O with chunks of red and yellow Jell-O. The goody bags were full of candy that Anna Maria's mother sent her from Mexico. I told the kids to give me any candy they didn't want. Emma and Aidan immediately handed over their corn with chili flavored lollipops and tamarind goo. Ian is pickier than I thought, he actually tried his corn lollipop and said it tasted gross. I am dying to snatch their Mexican flag coconut ring pops, but I think all the kids like coconut. We finally had to leave because our ride was leaving. They are from Argentina and their daughter Flor said she would like to do a language exchange with me (Yay!). Thank goodness we didn't have to walk home, we would have arrived at 1 or 2 a.m. I am so full of food, I think I might have to take a pepto bismol. I'm pretty sure the beans had lard in them and, naturally, the taquitos and tostadas were deep fried and full of oily goodness. I have a giant stomachache. It could be the coagulated pig's blood from yesterday or the Coca-cola combined with lard and oil. ¿Saber? (Who knows?)

1 comments:

Katy said...

O mi estomago... aye, aye! I don't even know if I spelled that correctly, but it is the ONE thing that both John and I remember from our 7th grade Spanish class... 43 years ago! If you're wondering who's typing... it's ME... Abril! I'm visiting Katy this week.

Maybe your giant stomach ache has something to do with reflux. Foods to avoid? Spicy foods... fatty foods... foods that are high in blood. Just a suggestion.

I feel your family's panic when you were gone. I worry about that kind of stuff ALL THE TIME!