BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, July 6, 2009

Peaches at 10 pm









In the past couple days we have explored the higher parts of the city near the Alhambra which had awesome views and architecture. We went through some really narrow alleyways with very creative graffiti. We found a little playground with graffiti of Pippi Longstocking all over it and soon discovered that it was also a litter box (see picture). While walking home at 10 pm we bought the most delicious peaches from a little old lady. Seriously, they were perfectly ripe, juicy, sweet and tart. Here's what the kids thought about the peaches:


Aidan, "I am going to use my Euros to buy more peaches."
Emma, "I wish had 10 more of those! These taste better than candy."
Ian, "You're my peach, sweet and juicy, I shouldn't complain." (Followed by Ian giving the peach a Hollywood kiss)

Collin and I had falafels for dinner and the kids had chicken kebab and they all liked it, including Emma, our pickiest eater! We walked to the school again to see how long it would take us and it turned out to be about 20 minutes from our house. We clocked 10,215 steps today. We finally passed the 10,000 steps mark, HOORAY!

We went to another playground and played on a teeter toter that rotated and a saucer swing. Aidan longingly watched some boys playing tag and soccer, but didn't know enough Spanish to join in. Hopefully, wanting to make friends will put a fire under him to learn it. 

Emma made a friend at the pool today whose mom is Scottish and dad is Peruvian. She could switch back and forth between languages. She and Emma played together, her name is Sophie. She is five, but taller and stouter than Emma. She actually said, "I think I'm a bit big for 5." I made a friend too. I said hola to a little girl. Her name is Celi and she is three. I told her my name and that I am 31. She then said, "Que fea!" which means, "How ugly!" and splashed me in the face with water, which made me feel really good about trying to make new friends. We were kind of bummed that the pool wasn't one of those ones that was tops optional, speedos required;) When we first got the pool there were no kids there and it was a silent as a mausoleum. We were kind of worried about our loud American kids making a scene with all their screams and splashing. Then around 4 pm the other families started showing up, you can get in for cheaper then. We are still going to bed past midnight and getting up around lunchtime. 

Emma has a loose tooth and is wondering if the tooth fairy will leave a dollar or a Euro. Emma came crying into our room last night at 2 am crunching on a carrot. Collin had told her if she ate an apple, her tooth would come out. We didn't have any so she tried a carrot and was feeling frustrated and jet lagged.

This might be TMI, but all the kids are using the bidet now. I guess I will have to weigh cleanliness against ew factor on that one.

Genie pants are really in style here for some reason. The ones I took a picture of are red plaid, but they are usually solid in color. I actually saw big group of girls and half of them were wearing white genie pants. I think they are hideous and remind me of a pair of MC Hammer pants I had in 8th grade. But who know? I might start wearing them. I thought gauchos and skinny jeans were ugly when I first saw them too.

We looked for the peach lady today, but couldn't find her so we had some dark sweet cherries instead. TMI again, but that should solve some travel related issues some of us are having.

I'm not sure why it isn't letting anyone make comments on this blog, but I am really bugged! I would love to hear from some of you!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Please don't start wearing the Genie pants. We saw so many girls in Seville with those on and they are completely unflattering. Don't give in!

Stephanie said...

Do the Genie pants! :-)