BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, September 4, 2009

Primary Party








What a busy day we had. The kids and I went out, after their Spanish lesson with Elena, to return books to the library, buy some earrings for Abish's birthday and go to the fruiteria. It was really hot out and the kids kept complaining about being hungry and thirsty. We all took a nap today. I would love to take one every day, but sometimes I don't have time. I guess I need to prioritize a little better so I can fit one in every day.


Ian gave us another scare at the library. I was at the desk checking out my books and Aidan came up to tell me that he couldn't find Ian. The library is really small, just one room. Aidan and I looked everywhere and couldn't find him. I looked in the women's bathroom and he wasn't there, there was a construction worker peeing in there with the door open, luckily his back was to me. I called out into the men's bathroom, but there was no answer. I sent Aidan outside by the fountain next to the library to look for him, but he wasn't there. One of the library workers told me to check the bathroom and even though I already did, I checked it again to oblige him. Ian was in the men's bathroom washing his hands. I told him that next time he has to tell me or one of the other kids that he is going to the bathroom. Ugh! I wish he had a little more common sense, but he is only six. I'm 31 and I still don't have a lot of common sense sometimes.

After siesta, I caught the bus to meet Ana Maria and Sara at the church to shop for food for the primary activity. I showed up at 10 minutes to 6 pm because I am notoriously on time (most of the time). I sat for 40 minutes waiting for them both to show up. Fortunately, I brought Mujercitas (Little Women in Spanish) to read while I waited. I never ever regret bringing a book everywhere, there is always time to read, just like there is always time to knit! They showed up around the same time and then we walked to Mercadona. I kept thinking that we had better hurry because the activity was supposed to start in 20 minutes. Those two strolled along the 3 blocks to the grocery store like they had 3 hours to spare. When we were in the store they took forever deciding which cheese, meat, bread, soda, potato chips, etc., to choose. I was all for just getting the cheapest stuff they had, but Sara and Ana Maria kept going back and forth on which stuff to get. When we got back to the church I stayed in the kitchen to make sandwiches with Yamiles. We made three varieties: ham and cheese with butter, jamon serrano with cheese and butter, and chorizo. Yamiles and I decided to leave the butter out of the chorizo sandwiches since chorizo is so fatty and was kind of oozing orange fat every where, not unlike cooked pepperoni. Ian ate a chorizo sandwich and really liked it. Aidan and Emma ate ham and cheese with butter and didn't like them at all! The kids played tons of games like "do you love your neighbor?" and a balloon popping relay. Yamiles's daughter, Daniella, fell off her balloon and chair and landed on her head, she cried for a while, but seemed alright. We ended with ice cream bars. I missed the lesson, if there was one. The theme of the activity was 'how to have FHE.' Maybe the focus was just on games to play . . .

After cleaning up, we had cake for Abish's birthday. Emma gave her the earrings, but I don't know if she liked them because she didn't say anything. Oh well, they were only 4E. I had tried to talk to the Primary presidency about the importance of washing hands because of swine flu and they looked at me like I was crazy and said that it wasn't a serious problem in Spain. I noticed too, that I was the only one who washed my hands with soap before preparing the food. I also washed all the serving platters and bowls before we used them. I can't help it, I think that Americans are just like that, plus I went to a Montessori preschool.

We went to Dani, a large Food-4-Less type grocery store, on the way home. It was in the middle of nowhere and the kids felt a little scared to go there. But it was a very nice store and had everything we needed. It also carried stuff like small furniture, storage containers and clothing. Once I can drive I am going to go there for most of our food. It is cheaper than all the other grocery stores and everything is in one place. We bought Tinto de Verano, which we thought was non-alcoholic wine mixed with soda. Collin tried it and said it was gross and made me try it. It was gross and smelled like real wine. Collin read the label and sure enough . . . . it was REAL WINE mixed with soda. That reminds me of an experience in England when Collin had mulled wine at a preschool function. In the states it is a non-alcoholic drink you can buy from Trader Joe's. In England it is real wine mixed with spices and served hot. The good new is that there is no chance of us becoming alcoholics since we both hate the taste of wine. I think we'll stick to the mosto.

So little Carlos makes fun of me. I just figured it out today. He copies the things I say in Spanish, but with a very exaggerated American accent. I hope I don't sound like he thinks I sound! Collin says it is because I don't string my words together. I enunciate everything too clearly and talk too slowly. I think it is just because I really have to think before I speak to make sure I don't say the wrong thing (which I end up doing a lot anyway). But to make up for it, Carlos said I was really pretty today and when Ana Maria said, "What about me?" He told her that she was pretty sometimes. Also, the women at the church said I was very photogenic, like a model in one of my very old Facebook pictures when I have short hair. It is always nice to get compliments on your looks, especially when you don't feel like you look your best.

0 comments: